Tuesday, June 8, 2010

'Bad Man' Drill Day

Because of the recent stabbings throughout China, our school decided to perform a drill to prepare the children to hide if there were ever to be an intruder ("Bad Man"). Most of the kids were confused. Some giggled through the whole thing, while others were terrified.
This affected me more than I thought it would.
As I looked into the faces of the 20+ children in the big storage closet, I had news headlines of Columbine and Virgina Tech flashing through my mind. It made me sick to my stomach to think about anyone ever trying to hurt these precious children.
I fought to blink back tears as I snapped back to the present. The kids began laughing and dancing as soon as the drill was over. And the rest of the day went on like usual.
I am so grateful to have had the chance to work with these children. They have touched my life so deeply.
It's going to be really hard to leave them in two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment